Wake up in wine country
There’s no better feeling than escaping the city on a Friday afternoon for a weekend away discovering the cellar doors, restaurants and cool natural places of Southern Queensland Country’s wine trails.
It’s so easy to wake up in wine country!
Take an early mark and hit the highway out of town.
Pick up supplies from:
• Carey Bros Meats, Warwick or Stanthorpe Quality Meats for barbecue supplies (ask for local Darling Downs meat!)
• Sam’s Farm Fresh Fruit & Vege is a must for in seasonal salad greens, vegies and fruit
Check-in at Ridgemill Estate for a cabin in the vineyard or at Twisted Gum Wines vineyard cottage. Nab a couple of bottles of red or white from the cellar door. Then settle in to watch the sun melt below the horizon.
Enjoy a peaceful night in, relaxing on your verandah – star gaze and throw a few steaks on the barbie.
This morning you are waking up right in the heart of wine country. Ridgemill offers a continental breakfast basket featuring local goodies; or you can cook your own if you bring supplies to Twisted Gum or head into town for great coffee and tasty bites at Brinx Deli.
Leave it up to the locals:
For a guided tour of local attractions and wineries, join Granite Highland Maxi Tours, Wine Discovery Tours or Filippos Tours.
Spend the cool of the morning walking the trails of Girraween National Park – keep an eye out for wildflowers, echidnas and wallabies.
Head to Ballandean Estate Winery for a wine tasting with one of the Puglisi family at the cellar door. Drop into Jamworks Gourmet Foods Cafe and Larder for lunch featuring local produce and a selection of local jams and preserves, coulis, vinegars, olives and olive oil.
For dinner, head out for a Brewer’s Platter matched with the house beers at Granite Belt Brewery’s Homestead Restaurant.
Sleep in and have breaky in bed and relax around the vineyard.
Before heading home:
• Browse the latest exhibition at Stanthorpe Regional Art Gallery
• Pick up some local handcrafts, plants or preserves from Market in the Mountains
• Chat to the cheesemaker and taste cheese made from the milk of purebred Jersey cows at Stanthorpe Cheese.
• Pick your own strawberries or try their freshly made strawberry ice cream at Ashbern Farms
• Sample some Strange Bird Varieties at the cellar doors of a few more wineries, we can suggest: Golden Grove Estate, Symphony Hill and Jester Hill Winery.
For more inspiration on where to explore across Southern Queensland Country, check out our handy guide or head to our blog.