If you’ve never experienced the festive season in a rural town or country community, then you’re in for a real treat. The pace is a bit slower and the smiles are warmer, that’s the beauty of it, where most locals know Santa by his first name! A country Christmas weekend away will remind you what this season is really about – taking the time to share special moments with loved ones.
Try something different this December. Skip the packed mall and pack up the family for a weekend in Southern Queensland Country, to enjoy Carols by Candlelight and any number of festive parades, light shows, street parties and fireworks, all within a few hours from home. The more the merrier at this time of year and we invite everyone to share in our wonderful festivities around the region. Experience the glittering stars in the vast night skies above, as regional country communities herald in Christmas 2021.
A not-so-silent night for the family? Carols under a starry sky beckons
Pack a hamper and gather the troops for a sublime country experience at one of these Christmas Carol events – just remember to bring something warm, as temperatures can drop once the sun sets over the hills.
- Stanthorpe Carols in the Park, Weeroona Park
6.30pm Friday 10 December
- Dalby Community Carols, Anderson Park, Dalby
5.30pm – 7.30pm Saturday 11 December
- Triple M Mayoral Carols by Candlelight, Queens Park, Toowoomba
6.30m – 8.30pm Sunday 12 December
- Carols in the Park, Queen’s Park, Warwick (pictured)
6pm Sunday 12 December
- Wandoan Apex Christmas Carols, O’Sullivan Park
6.30pm – 10pm Saturday 18 December
- Chinchilla Community Christmas Carols, Chinchilla Botanic Parkland
5pm – 9pm Saturday 18 December
Lights! Cameras! Festivities! Don’t miss these carnival-style Christmas events
Come and experience how we celebrate Christmas in the Country, with balmy summer nights making for perfect twilight festivities, where the stars are shining as brightly as the warm country hospitality.
- Toowoomba Christmas Wonderland, Botanic Gardens Queens Park
7pm – 10pm, 4-24 December
- Stanthorpe Music and Arts Festival, Weeroona Park, Stanthorpe
2pm – 10pm Saturday 4 December
- Chinchilla Community Christmas Party, Chinchilla Botanic Parkland
4pm – 9pm Saturday 4 December
- Kingaroy Christmas Carnival, Kingaroy Memorial Park
4pm – 9pm Thursday 9 December
- Forest Hill Christmas Festivities, Victoria St, Forest Hill
5pm – 9.30pm Friday 10 December
- Meandarra Community Christmas Party, Dillon Park
5.30pm Friday 10 December
- Tara Community Christmas Street Party, Grevillea Park, Tara
5.30pm – Sunday 12 December
- Nanango Christmas Carnival
5pm – 9pm – Thursday 16 December
- Lockyer Valley Christmas Carnival, Lake apex Parklands Gatton
5pm – 9.30pm Friday 17 December
- Lions Christmas Light Show Movie Night, Chinchilla Botanic Parkland
6pm – 9pm Tuesday 21 December
- Lions Christmas Fireworks, Gilbert Oval, Goondiwindi
Looking for Christmas gifts with a difference this year? Check out our festive shopping guide with the run-down on Christmas markets and the best local shopping in our region.
With the challenges of weather and Covid-safe events please always call ahead before you travel, to confirm the details of the event. A good place to get local information is the Visitor Information Centre at most regional towns. For a full list click here.